A lot of couples go through problems, and that is perfectly normal from time to time. Couples therapy exists for a reason, but some people are just too scared to take that step even if they know their relationship needs help. You might be wondering does couples therapy work, and the answer is yes! Couples therapy helps save relationships and marriages all over the world just as long as you are ready and willing to be totally honest. If you want to know how couples therapy work and more about it, you can learn that below.
How does couples therapy work?
- You will talk through your problems with a therapist in a safe space.
- You will talk in front of your partner and perhaps separately too.
- It is the therapist’s job to listen and give advice, but it is completely up to you whether you choose to take that advice.
- A good therapist will NOT take sides. Some couples avoid therapy altogether because they think that the therapist will favor one person over the other, but that is definitely not going to be the case.
The benefits of couples therapy
- You will get to talk about your problems thoroughly, and more than that, therapy will force you to really think about your problems. Sometimes, even when in a relationship, we even forget to talk to each other, and therapy can remind you just how important it is.
- You will get an unbiased opinion from a third-party person who does not know either of you and does not know your history either.
- You will learn things about your partner that you might have never known, and you will also discover how to communicate more effectively with each other.
Who is couples therapy ideal for?
There is no doubt that seeing a therapist together can help your relationship enormously, but those who will find couples therapy most useful are:
- When the expectations about therapy from the couple are the same.
- When both of you are ready to compromise and make changes if necessary.
- When there is still love or friendship between the couple and the desire to build on it and become better.
- When the therapist you are seeing is fully qualified to help couples progress.
Couples therapy is NOT going to work if it is being used as a threat or one person in the relationship is being forced or blackmailed into going. It is also not going to work if there is no love, friendship, or even respect between the couple. Make sure that you think about where you are in your relationship before you bite the bullet.
Now that you know a little bit more about possible reasons for couples therapy and what does couples therapy do? Perhaps you have realized it is something that you need for your relationship to thrive at this point. Get in touch with a qualified couples & marriage therapist in Toronto today, and your relationship is sure to reap the benefits.