My Approach to Counselling in Toronto
My approach to counselling in Toronto beings with a thorough assessment of the individual or couple. This assessment can include discussing current issues, concerns, and problems you are facing as an individual or as a couple.
I integrate research-based strategies, along with my ongoing studies into the latest individual and couple counselling theories, approaches, and methods to develop a tailored treatment designed to fit your own specific circumstances.
I help individuals and couples with my over 25 years’ experience in private counselling in Toronto, using the following general framework:
- Assessment: During an initial counselling session, I ask questions to help determine the core issues you desire help with. This is also an opportunity for you to ask your own questions and address concerns about counselling.
- Counselling Frequency: Once we determine the issues you would like to explore further, the next step is to decide on the frequency and duration of sessions.
- Counselling Interventions: Interventions are used to help individuals and couples in three major areas:
- Conflict Resolution/Management
- Development of Individual and Shared Objectives and Goals
People learn how to replace their negative patterns of behaviour and reactions with positive interactions and methods. These can be used for self-improvement, as well as to rebuild and repair damaged relationships and strengthen the bonds between people.
Interventions are equally beneficial to improve intimacy and closeness while improving interpersonal relationships with your partner, family, friends, and even coworkers. As you become more aware of your deeper emotional connections to yourself and others, you start to create changes, which enhances yourself and helps you attain your objectives and goals.
- Relapse Prevention: This process is discussing how to deal with relapses in behaviours that you are currently addressing through counselling. It is completely understandable to have relapses as you are learning new methods and skills for improving yourself and your relationships.
My Goals of Counselling
The goals of my individual and couples counselling are to help people overcome conflicting communications, increase respect, affection, and intimacy towards one another, help remove barriers that can create a feelings of resentment in conflicts, and to create a heightened sense of understanding and empathy within the context of the problems you are addressing.
Who Can Benefit from Counselling?
I understand every person’s situation is unique, and I design my methods to provide support for individuals and couples across all cultural, economic, and racial sectors, as well as all sexual orientations and gender identities. Some of the issues we can address through counselling could include:
- Body-image Issues
- Communication Issues
- Frequent Arguments and Conflict
- Sexuality, Sex and Intimacy Issues
- Family Issues
- Emotionally Disconnected Issues
- Personal and Career Life Paths and Goal
- Self-esteem Issues
Please remember this is just a small sample of the wide range of topics we can address through counselling.
I provide a safe, secure, caring, supportive and judgment-free environment for you to explore any concern, issue or problem you are facing. To schedule an initial counselling session in Toronto, please feel free to contact me, Ellen Starr directly at 416-488-3102 today!