close
close
Sat. Jul 20th, 2024

Family of IPS student beaten in class says they have asked IPS to investigate before hiring lawyers – Indianapolis News | Weather Indiana | Indiana traffic

By Vaseline May30,2024

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) – The family of a George Washington Carver School student who was beaten in class and allegedly taken in by his teacher says the school only investigated the case after getting lawyers involved.

On Wednesday, 23-year-old Julious Johnican, a now former teacher at Indianapolis Public School #87, was charged with neglect of a dependent for his alleged role in the September shooting of the 7-year-old student. He has not yet been arrested, according to online court records, and his attorney says he has moved to East Chicago. He is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday.

Prior to that, attorneys for the child’s family said they filed an education lawsuit against Indianapolis Public Schools in April and released the recording of the fight to the media.

On the recording, a teacher can be heard encouraging the fight to continue.

Lawyers said it was only after they released the video that a criminal investigation was launched and an affidavit of probable cause was written. An affidavit often contains information from witnesses and attempts to prove the basis for an arrest.

While the family is grateful that charges have been officially filed, they are confused by one key part of that statement.

“What I find really interesting, and I’ve never seen it before, is that there were statements in the probable cause affidavit that came from a paralegal at IPS,” said Tammy Meyer, one of the victim’s attorneys. “Instead of talking to the director who had been there, or the deputy director, it was a legal conversation on behalf of IPS, which I find strange and worrying.”

In addition to the arrest warrant, police obtained a warrant for Johnican’s cell phone on May 3.

The family’s lawyers say he has yet to turn that in, and they say there are likely more videos on it.

“This man has given every excuse, he moved from the city to East Chicago, he has no transportation, his attorney hasn’t had time to talk to him,” Meyer said. “We’ve heard every excuse in the world. That cell phone, with multiple videos, is still there, and not in the hands it should be in now.

Johnican’s lawyers said he was unable to give the phone to investigators because of his move.

The family’s legal team is also calling for Johnican’s Indiana teaching license to be revoked. The Indiana Department of Education responded to News 8 in a statement.

“IDOE cannot automatically revoke the teaching licenses of individuals who have not been convicted of a crime listed in IC 20-28-5-8. To take action against the license, IDOE must comply with the Administrative Orders and Proceedings Act and initiate administrative proceedings, requesting the decision of an administrative judge if the evidence warrants revocation. On May 15, IDOE filed a complaint against Mr. Johnican’s license with the Office of Administrative Law Proceedings, requesting its revocation. That procedure is still ongoing,” the ministry said.

IPS also issued a statement.

“IPS is aware of the charges against a former IPS teacher. The district will continue to comply with all investigations regarding this matter,” the school system said.

According to emails sent to parents of children attending the school, the administration is looking for a new principal and vice principal for the school following the scandal.

Related Post