close
close
Sun. Jul 14th, 2024

Dozens of hotel guests possibly poisoned with carbon monoxide

By Vaseline May26,2024

More than 60 people have been sent to the hospital after suffering possible carbon monoxide poisoning at a West Virginia hotel, according to local officials and media reports.

The reported carbon monoxide leak occurred early Sunday morning at Microtel Inn & Suites, owned by Wyndham Hotels and Resorts, in Gassaway, West Virginia.

The leak was reported around 2 a.m. Sunday, Braxton County emergency and health officials told local station WOWK. The Gassaway Fire Department responded to the “mass casualty” situation at the Microtel Inn & Suites shortly after the leak was reported.

The inn’s residents were evacuated and evaluated, with dozens of people transported to Braxton Memorial Hospital for possible carbon monoxide poisoning. Although no deaths were reported on Sunday evening, local media reported that several people were in critical condition.

Newsweek On Sunday evening, we reached out to representatives from the Braxton County Health Department and Wyndham Hotels and Resorts via email for updates and comment on the incident.

In all, the gas leak at the hotel caused 68 hotel residents to seek medical attention, with three people left in critical condition, Braxton County emergency officials told local station WCHS. The three people in critical condition remained in the hospital as of Sunday afternoon, the outlet reported.

Although it was unclear at the time of publication what caused the possible gas leak, investigators were able to identify the source and resolve the problem, according to local media reports. Firefighters also inspected the building with carbon monoxide detectors to confirm safe levels and the hotel has since reopened, WCHS said.

Members of the Gassaway, Flatwoods and Sutton Volunteer Fire Departments responded to the incident and assisted the fire chief.

Representatives from the Microtel Inn & Suites in Sutton confirmed to WCHS that the hotel is open.

Carbon monoxide poisoning, which kills more than 200 people and sends 20,000 to emergency rooms each year in the United States, is a serious event that can seriously damage your health and result in death. It happens when people inhale carbon monoxide fumes, which are extremely toxic in high concentrations. Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas that is produced when burning gasoline, kerosene, coal and other fuels. Although this is most common in the winter months, it can happen at any time if there is not proper ventilation or if the appliances are not working properly.

The most common symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, headache, dizziness, chest pain, fainting (loss of consciousness), mental confusion, blurred vision and breathing problems.

People hospitalized after carbon monoxide leak
More than 60 people were sent to the hospital after possibly suffering carbon monoxide poisoning at a Microtel Inn in Sutton, West Virginia.

Brandon Bell/Getty