close
close
Sat. Jul 20th, 2024

Landslide in Papua New Guinea: Government confirms no Indonesians affected

By Vaseline May27,2024

TEMPO.CO, JakartaThe Indonesian Foreign Ministry confirmed that no Indonesian citizens were victims of the landslide disaster in Papua New Guinea. Based on estimates from the UN migration agency IOM, more than 670 people were feared dead.

The Foreign Ministry report said the Indonesian Embassy in Port Moresby had coordinated with local authorities and the Indonesian community and would continue to monitor the situation. “So far there is no information about any Indonesian victims in the disaster,” the ministry said in a short message to journalists on Sunday, May 26, 2024.

Authorities are still carrying out rescue operations in Papua New Guinea, although dangerous conditions on the ground have hampered efforts. Papua New Guinea’s media previously estimated that the disaster that occurred on Friday, May 24, 2024, had claimed the lives of more than 300 people. But more than 48 hours later, the IOM said the death toll was likely more than double as the extent of the destruction remained unclear and rescue efforts were ongoing.

The agency based its death toll estimates on information from officials in Yambali village in Enga province, who say more than 150 houses were buried in Friday’s landslide, said Serhan Aktoprak, the agency’s head of mission in Papua -New Guinea in an email statement. .

“Land is still sliding, rocks are falling, the ground is cracking due to the continuously increased pressure and groundwater is flowing, so the area poses an extreme risk to everyone,” Aktoprak said in an email, as quoted by Reuters.

More than 250 homes in the area have been abandoned by residents, who had sought temporary shelter with their relatives and friends, and about 1,250 people have been displaced, the agency said.

“People use digging sticks, shovels and large agricultural forks to remove the bodies buried underground,” Aktoprak said.

The IOM said a primary school, small businesses and stalls, a guesthouse and a petrol station were also buried.

The UN office in Papua New Guinea said five bodies had been recovered from an area where 50 to 60 homes had been destroyed, and several people had been injured, including at least 20 women and children.

According to IOM, the community in this village is relatively young and it is feared that most fatalities will be children aged 15 or younger.

NABIILA AZZAHRA A. | REUTERS

Editor’s choice: More than 670 feared dead in landslide in Papua New Guinea

click here Unpleasant to get the latest news updates from Tempo on Google News

Related Post