close
close
Sun. Jul 14th, 2024

8-year-old boy electrocuted while playing in society garden | Mumbai News

By Vaseline May27,2024

MUMBAI: An eight-year-old boy, Joesph Thomas, was electrocuted while playing in the society garden in Vasai East on Saturday evening. The incident took place in the garden of Sky Heights Society in Evershine City around 7:45 p.m., when Thomas was playing hide and seek with his friends.

Joep Thomas
Joep Thomas

The eight-year-old was running through the garden when he stepped on an open wire connected to a utility pole in the club building and fell unconscious. After ten minutes, a resident of the association saw Thomas unconscious and alerted the watchman and other members of the association who had turned off the electricity supply to the garden. They rushed him to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

Unlock exclusive access to the latest news about India’s general elections, only through the HT app. Download now! Download now!

Rahul Dote, a resident of the building, said he was returning home from work when he saw the child lying lifeless in the yard. “I saw the child lying unconscious and immediately realized that something was wrong with him. Thomas was pronounced dead on the spot while lying unnoticed in the bushes for several minutes,” Dote said.

Police have registered an accidental death report (ADR) and are investigating whether there was negligence as the wire was left uncovered and wet in the garden where the children regularly play.

“We are interrogating the members of the association to find out who was responsible for the maintenance of the garden,” said a police officer from Achole police station.

Thomas was the younger of two sons and a daughter of Prabhu Thomas, 42, a businessman. Thomas told police that Joseph played in the yard every day. “The police must investigate who is responsible for my son’s death and arrest him so that other children are saved,” he said.

Related Post