LGBTQ Counselling in Toronto
There are several challenges one faces when they identify as being LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer). These challenges can arise in the workplace, at home with family and friends, and even in various social settings.
While public awareness and acceptance has greatly improved over the past several generations, there are still those that exhibit homophobic behaviours towards LGBTQ individuals. If you need a safe, caring, and nonjudgmental environment where you can explore any challenges you are facing relating to your sexual identity and orientation, or other such concerns, LGBTQ counselling in Toronto with a qualified therapist, like Ellen Starr can help.
Common Issues LGBTQ Counselling Can Help With
Exploring your own life and figuring out your identity is just one of the issues counselling can help you overcome. I understand that no person can be reduced to just a single identity or label, whether it is in regards to sexual orientation, gender, race or political affiliation.
Keeping this in mind, LGBTQ is a broad and generalized category that includes a wide range of diverse individuals, each with their own issues and concerns. Some of the more common issues that can be explored during counselling include:
- Coming Out to Family and Friends
- Religious Beliefs/Values
- Discrimination Concerns
- Workplace and Career Challenges
- Oppression Concerns
- Relationship Issues
- Marriage Issues
- Concerns about Start a Family
- Sexual Performance Issues
- Monogamy/Polyamory Relationships
- Cultural Beliefs
- HIV/AIDS Concerns
- Sexual Reassignment
- Loss of a Partner/Spouse
These are just some of the many issues you can address during counselling.
Some individuals have specific concerns relating to their sexual orientation or gender, while others can have problems that are not directly related to these two concerns.Whatever your issues, I am here to work with you to develop counselling tailored to your own specific needs, interests, objectives, and goals.
What Is Explored During Counselling Sessions?
I am able to help you address a variety of concerns and problems that is not limited to your gender or sexual orientation. I focus on providing a safe environment, free of judgements for you to consider the full range of concerns you wish to discuss. During counselling sessions we can explore any of the following:
- Discovering your inner strengths.
- Learning how to manage family and friends that may not fully accept you.
- Exploring any previous events you have not fully dealt with that is affecting your current self.
- Career and personal short-term and long-term goals.
- Challenges related to intimacy and sex.
- Discussing why acceptance by certain people in your life is important to you.
- Considering changes that could resolve issues and provide you with an improved quality of life.
Aside from these, we can talk about anything that concerns you, as well as positive events you should celebrate. To schedule an initial counselling session, please feel free to contact me, Ellen Starr directly at 416-488-3102 today!