Toronto Psychotherapy for Self-Esteem Issues and Concerns
Do you ever feel like you are unworthy or inadequate? Do you feel like you do not fit in with your peers? Do you have trouble accepting and acknowledging personal successes and compliments? Do you feel like people do not really know the real you? Would you rather stay home alone than go out and socialize with family and friends?
If you answered yes to one or more of the previous questions, you could be experiencing low self-esteem. Self-esteem effects how we perceive ourselves, others, and how we respond to various stimuli and environments. One effective way to address self-esteem issues and concerns is through the use of psychotherapy in Toronto.
What Is Psychotherapy and Self-Esteem?
Psychotherapy is the use of counselling and therapy to address self-esteem issues using various psychological methods rather than using medical means. Self-esteem is how we view our own self-worth. It is a very personal self-examining attitude, as well as judgement we all make of ourselves.
Self-esteem is directly related to a wide range of emotions, like happiness, joy, sadness, anger, shame, and pride. How each of us views ourselves includes a range of emotions, along with our own positive and negative ideals that we have about who we are.
As you can imagine, self-esteem is very subjective since it is how we view ourselves, regardless of how others perceive us. People, who have low self-esteem issues can require approval from others to feel good about themselves. They may also take offence when they are criticized or made to feel vulnerable.
How Can Toronto Psychotherapy Help Self-Esteem?
A psychotherapist works with you to help determine why you are experiencing low self-esteem. Part of this process involves developing a better sense of who you are and your own personal expectations for your life. Counselling sessions help you evaluate your strengths and weaknesses as you start to learn more about what makes your unique and different from others.
During your counselling sessions a series of processes and methods can be utilized, which will be tailored to fit your specific circumstances and needs. These may include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Learning more about your own personal triggers that cause you to view yourself negatively.
- Identifying and exploring the originals of why you have low self-esteem and finding out when the issue actually began.
- Working through unresolved emotional issues that have affected your self-esteem.
- Exploring any negative feelings and beliefs you have about yourself.
- Developing effective coping skills for managing emotional responses when you feel anger, fear, resentment, or other emotions that can cause you to self-attack yourself.
- Learning how to find strength in yourself and slowly overcome your previous low self-esteem issues and personal perceptions.
If you are ready to gain a better understanding about yourself and your self-esteem issues in a supportive, caring, nurturing, and nonjudgmental environment, please feel free to contact Ellen Starr directly at 416-488-3102 to schedule an initial consultation today!